Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Recent Eye Appointment Recap

We had our check-up yesterday and it went ok. Not good or bad, just ok. I always get super nervous before any of his appointments. No idea why, I just do. I guess I hate losing that feeling of control, of not knowing what the doctor will say after shining a flashlight in my two-year-old's eyes. I hate seeing B act nervous or upset as the elevator door opens and he remembers where we are, the sad way he clings to me like a koala bear, extremely afraid and visibly upset.

The doctor was pleased to hear that B does not have any wandering of his eyes while wearing glasses...that's a relief! It means the glasses are "working" as they should. Quite honestly, we don't really see much wandering when he's NOT wearing glasses. We see it sometimes, maybe 15% of the time, moreso when he's tired, but it's not nearly as bad or obvious as it was 7 or 8 months ago.

That's a relief!

However, the doc said B will probably need glasses forever, or maybe his vision will improve when he's nine -- there's just no way to predict.

The pediatric ophthalmologist leaves a lot to be desired. For example, after the exam, he mentions that B will likely be a candidate for contacts or even LASIK when he gets older. I didn't know that -- I always assumed LASIK was for near-sighted people who can't see far away, not necessarily for someone with extreme far-sightedness like my little guy. Anyway, so he mentions the LASIK possibility in the distant future (like 20 years) for our son, and I say, "Yes, and you never know where technology will take us in that time, they may have an even better option for teens and young adults with this problem." And the doctor just looks at me like what I've suggested is the craziest thing ever and says, "No, not really, LASIK technology won't change." Uh, ok, buddy, thanks. Way to be optimistic? Can you fix that bedside manner and give this mama some hope?

Here's what would have sounded better to the upset mommy: "Yes, you're so right, technology is improving each and every day, we just don't know what wonderful options await. There's no point in worrying from now about the future." 

Pfffftt. 

Other than the doctor's negativity, the appointment was fine. We go back in six months for a dilation and prescription check.

By the way, B is still keeping the glasses on just fine. Did I ever mention we got the cable wires that hook on his earlobes? SO much better than the standard frames that slipped down his nose every three seconds! Highly recommend the cable wires for two-year-olds in glasses!

The only time he doesn't wear glasses is during naps or at night, and when we go to the beach (leave them in the car so they don't get sandy).

Question: What do you do at the beach with little kids who wear glasses? Are there summer-time frames that are worth getting for water/sand play for little kids?

Ok, that's my update! Thanks for reading.


2 comments:

  1. Ha, that doctor's got a lot to learn about communication and empathy! Zikes! Other than that, it sounds like a great appointment.

    For summer, Stella loved her transitions lenses. She also insisted on wearing her prescription goggles in the water (she also wears her goggles in the bathtub and I recommend it for the cuteness factor alone).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! It's 2018 and I'm about to take my 2 year old to be diagnosed for her right eye turning in. How is B doing now? Did you ever have to have surgery? I've heard it's mostly cosmetic. Did he do vision therapy? Thanks for these blog posts. It's nice to know we're not alone.

    ReplyDelete