Friday, November 11, 2011

Social Stigma: Study Confirms Strabismus Easily Recognized Even By Small Children

Found this depressing study -- Negative social bias against children with strabismus -- and it makes me worry how strabismus may affect B in school.

This is scary:

"Strabismus might also be a handicap from an educational point of view. It is particularly interesting and important to note that children with strabismus may not be given the same opportunities as others at school. We demonstrated that teachers have major preconceptions regarding the performance of strabismic children. They believe that these children may not be as capable of learning as 'normal' children and may not be able to fulfill responsibilites given to them. Besides, they prefer to assign duties to 'normal' students during cultural activities at school. These results strongly support the suggestion that strabismus may potentially have a negative impact on a child's education."

And this paragraph from the same study just about breaks my heart:

"In one study, children older than 6 years of age almost uniformly gave a negative description of strabismic dolls and hesitated to play with them (Paysse et al. 2001). A child who is viewed differently by his peers because of strabismus would probably have difficulties in socializing with other children. Our results give credence to this concept as the participants suggested that it could be harder for strabismic children to be accepted into a social group of friends."

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that really is scary and heartbreaking to read. I'm very, very thankful that glasses and surgery seem to have worked and Zoe's eyes are straight now. I hope that your son will have a similar good outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit I'm guilty of this. I don't have strabismus, but I have come across people with it. My reactions were very negative and I would have a sense of "Is there something seriously wrong with this person?" I would have a strong sense of uncanny valley when interacting with people with strabismus. Though I've had to deal with being on the autism spectrum and being shunned, I couldn't even imagine what it would be like to have to deal with a stigmatizing physical issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have strabismus since my birth( I'm 38 now) and that puts me down in my entire life. Effects my education, social life...I'm intelligent, smart and compassionate...Some called me as squinter and some don't say anything vividly but their expressions speak for their mind...

      Delete